Security drill will not simulate attack on president: MND

2017/08/03 20:40:09
CNA file photo

CNA file photo

Taipei, Aug. 3 (CNA) The Ministry of National Defense (MND) on Thursday denied an earlier report that an upcoming national security drill will simulate an attack on a motorcade carrying the country's president and vice president.

There will be no such scenario during the drill, which is scheduled for Aug. 4-6, said MND spokesman Maj. Gen. Chen Chung-chi (陳中吉).

Chen was responding to news reports earlier in the day that said the drill would simulate an attack on a presidential motorcade and a rescue by the Republic of China (Taiwan) Marine Corps.

The drill, which will be held by the National Security Council (NSC), will focus on protection of the country's key infrastructure and handling of national security emergencies, the MND said.

It confirmed that personnel from some 20 government ministries and agencies, including the Executive Yuan, Ministry of the Interior, Ministry of Transportation and Communications, and the Central Bank of the Republic of China, are expected to take part in the exercise.

Earlier in the day, sources familiar with the drill plan had told CNA that a simulated attack on a presidential motorcade would also be part of the drill.

(By Lu Hsin-hui and Ko Lin)
Enditem/pc


Share on Facebook  Share on twitter  Share by email  Share on Google+
Top