Taiwanese activist probably detained in Guangdong: MAC

2017/04/11 19:18:21 fontsize-small fontsize-default fontsize-big
MAC Minister Chang Hsiao-yueh (張小月, center)

MAC Minister Chang Hsiao-yueh (張小月, center)

Taipei, April 11 (CNA) A Taiwanese human rights and democracy advocate is probably being detained in China's Guangdong Province, the head of the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC), the nation's top body in charge of China policy, said Tuesday.

But MAC Minister Chang Hsiao-yueh (張小月) said the information could not be substantiated.

Lee Ming-che (李明哲), a former Democratic Progressive Party worker who is now a staff member at Wenshan Community College in Taipei and a volunteer at Covenants Watch, a local non-government organization, was detained by the Chinese authorities after entering the city of Zhuhai via Macau on March 19.

China confirmed 10 days later that Lee was being detained on suspicion of endangering national security. But it has yet to disclose where he is being held or any details about his alleged violations.

In an international news conference Tuesday, Chang again called on China to say openly why Lee is being detained and where is he being detained, as well as allowing his family to go to the mainland to visit him.

Chang said the government has communicated with China through existing channels, but added that China has yet to respond.

She said that the Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF) -- the semi-official body that handles contacts with China -- has contacted its mainland counterpart, the Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Straits (ARATS), several times regarding the case.

The Ministry of Justice and the Criminal Investigation Bureau have also communicated with their Chinese counterparts based on a joint crime-fighting and judicial assistance agreement signed between the two sides in 2009.

But she said China has not responded to any requests and has not published any details of the case.

However, she did say that medicine for high blood pressure commissioned by Lee's wife, Lee Ching-yu (李凈瑜), has been received by ARATS.

Lee Ching-yu had been scheduled to travel to Beijing Monday to meet the Chinese authorities regarding the case, and had also hoped to visit her husband to ensure his personal safety and health. But her plan fell through after she was told at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport that her travel permit had been revoked and that she could not board the plane.

(By Kao Chao-fen and Lilian Wu)

Share on Facebook  Share on twitter  Share by email  Share on Google+